Australia Parent Visa Guide

Australia parent visa requirements, eligibility criteria, application process, and More

If you are an Australian citizen, permanent resident, or eligible New Zealand citizen and want to bring your parents to live with you in Australia, you can apply for a Parent Visa. There are three main types of Parent Visas: Contributory Parent Visas, Non-Contributory Parent Visas, and Sponsored Parent Visas. Contributory Parent Visas are more expensive but have shorter processing times, while Non-Contributory Parent Visas are cheaper but have much longer processing times. Sponsored Parent Visas are temporary and do not lead to permanent residency. To be eligible for any of these visas, you must have a child living in Australia who can sponsor you and meet the income requirements, and you must pass the Balance of Family Test, which measures your ties to Australia. The requirements and costs vary depending on the type of visa you apply for. The application process involves gathering several important documents, such as proof of identity, proof of relationship with the sponsoring child, and health and character checks. The processing times for Parent Visas are subject to capping and queuing, and can take several years. 

Understanding the Subclass 103 Visa

The Subclass 103 Visa enables parents to live in Australia with their children. It facilitates family reunification and provides an opportunity for parents to establish lasting connections, potentially leading to Australian citizenship.

However, it’s important to note that processing times for this visa can be lengthy. Alternative parent visa options are available for quicker processing, albeit at higher costs.

Australia Parent Visa Requirements

When applying for the Subclass 103 Visa, you’ll need:

  • Passport and passport-sized photographs.
  • Birth certificate detailing both parents’ names. Alternative documents may be submitted if a birth certificate is unavailable.
  • Certified copies of relevant identification documents.
  • Documents confirming custody arrangements for any children under 18 included in the application.
  • Completed and signed application forms, including Form 47PA and Form 40.
  • Proof of the sponsor’s legal status in Australia, such as citizenship, permanent residence, or eligible New Zealand citizenship.
  • Evidence of family relationships, including birth certificates, marriage certificates, and adoption certificates where applicable.
  • Documents establishing where all children live, particularly if they reside outside of Australia.
  • Proof of military service and/or discharge records if applicable.
  • Confirmation of payment for the initial visa fee.

How to Apply for the Australia Parent Visa

The application process involves:

  • Your child, residing in Australia, completes Form 40 to sponsor you.
  • Gather all required documents as specified by Immigration Authorities.
  • Submit the documents to your child in Australia, who will present them to the Parent Visa Centre.
  • Payment of the first installment of the visa fee.
  • Await processing, keeping in mind that this visa can take a considerable amount of time to be approved.

To estimate where your application stands in the queue, the Department of Home Affairs offers a “Parent Visa Queue Calculator.”

Processing Time

Due to the capping and queuing system in place, the processing time for the Subclass 103 Visa can be extensive. In some cases, it may take up to 30 years for a final decision to be reached. This delay is a result of the limited number of parent visas granted each year.

Sponsorship Requirements

For your child to sponsor you to Australia, they must meet several criteria:

  • Be over 18 years of age.
  • Be an Australian citizen, permanent resident, or eligible New Zealand citizen.
  • Pass the Balance of Family Test.
  • Be settled and residing in Australia.
  • Meet income requirements to cover your financial expenses.
  • Be willing to provide an Assurance of Support bond to cover potential burdens on the Australian health and welfare system.

Additional Applicants and Costs

The Subclass 103 Visa allows certain family members to apply alongside the main applicant, such as spouse, dependent children, or grandchildren. The visa cost starts at AUD 4,425 and varies based on factors like the number of applicants and submission date.

Quicker Processing Options

Alternatively, you can consider the Contributory Parent Temporary Visa (173) or the Contributory Parent Permanent Visa (143), which offer shorter processing times but higher costs.

Working, Healthcare, and Travel Privileges

Holders of the Subclass 103 Visa can work, study, and access Medicare in Australia. Travel privileges allow entry and exit for five years, with options for continued travel through a Resident Return Visa or Australian citizenship.

Reuniting with your family in Australia via the Subclass 103 Visa is a rewarding journey. Despite challenges, the opportunity to build a life with loved ones Down Under is invaluable. Make informed decisions, explore alternative visa options, and ensure you meet requirements for a successful journey.

What are the benefits of applying for a contributory parent visa?

The Contributory Parent Visa (Subclass 143) has several benefits that make it an attractive option for parents who want to migrate to Australia. The holder of a Contributory Parent Visa can stay in Australia indefinitely and work and study in the country in their respective field of interest. The visa also allows the holder to travel to and from Australia for five years and enroll themselves in the country’s healthcare system. Additionally, the holder of this visa becomes eligible to sponsor the permanent residence of their relatives[1]. The key benefit of Contributory Parent Visas is that they allow parents to reunite and live with their children in Australia. Furthermore, if granted a Contributory Parent Visa, the holder can apply for Australian citizenship (if eligible) and sponsor eligible relatives for permanent residence. The temporary Contributory Parent Visa (Subclass 173) offers full work rights, and upon obtaining the permanent Subclass 143 visa, the holder gains unrestricted work rights as well. However, it is important to note that Contributory Parent Visas are significantly more expensive than Non-Contributory Parent Visas, and the processing times are shorter.

What are the eligibility requirements for a sibling visa?

To petition for a Sibling Visa in the United States, the sponsor must be a U.S. citizen who is at least 21 years old. The sponsor must file Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative, along with supporting documents to prove the sibling relationship. The sponsor must also demonstrate the ability to financially support the sibling once they enter the United States by submitting an Affidavit of Support. Additionally, the sibling must not have any disqualifying factors that would make them ineligible for a visa, such as a criminal record or certain medical conditions.

The process for obtaining a Sibling Visa involves several steps:
– File Form I-130 petition with USCIS.
– Wait for approval of the petition.
– Wait for a visa to become available based on the priority date.
– File a visa application with the National Visa Center (NVC).
– Attend an interview at a U.S. embassy or consulate if applying from abroad.

The process of bringing a sibling to the U.S. can be complex and lengthy, and it is essential to consult with an immigration attorney to navigate the process effectively. Make your immigration process hassle-free. Connect with experienced professionals offering comprehensive immigration services.